Monday, August 28, 2006

Dating – take it easy… Who are they kidding?

Let’s do a reality check. The purpose of ‘dating’ is to meet someone that you could potentially spend the rest of your life with. No pressure there, right? Ha!

Come on, there is nothing “relaxing” about forcing people to put themselves on display and “sell” themselves to another. Companies spend millions (if not billions) of dollars each year to make sure that the public buys their image and their products. If we dwarf the budget a bit, how is dating any different?

Just like corporate marketing, dating is a game. It’s about putting your best attributes forward, downplaying the traits that might take a little time to get used to and placing yourself on display; all the while you are interviewing, perceiving, testing and gauging the other person… AND people tell you to relax? Ha!

Isn’t it funny that the ones who assure you that the pressure is off are the ones who are partnered/married/coupled and aren’t in the dating scene any more? Sure, they’ve been there and done it, but they stressed just as much as everyone else.

Don’t get me wrong, dating is fun and the excitement abounds, but there are times when I think our* ancestors had something right when the came up with the prearranged marriage idea. It simplifies the rules of the game, gives the participant no option and takes the pressure off to some extent.

I mean, who would I be to complain if my mother decided it was time for her to find me a man to settle down with? Anyone who knows her, knows that she has excellent taste in gay men and would be more than happy to marry me off to a hot one just to raise the beauty factor in the family photos. Yes, I am kidding… kind of.

In any case, the point is this: dating is hard, it’s a lot of work. One hopes that in the end it will be worth it, but in the meantime, let’s do all we can to help take some of that pressure off ourselves and each other.

*by our, I mean my Jewish ancestors

6 Comments:

At 28 August, 2006 22:59, Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

As I started reading this I thought: "Jason just needs to relax and not put so much pressure on himself" and then I read the line, "Isn’t it funny that the ones who assure you that the pressure is off are the ones who are partnered/married/coupled and aren’t in the dating scene any more?"

So then I thought, "Nevermind."

 
At 29 August, 2006 14:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL -- dating is exactly like job shopping, there are many potentials, there are a very few interesting ones, and the really good ones are always taken.
No I am not bitter just realistic.

 
At 30 August, 2006 09:37, Blogger Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

I dunno, I do think there is something to be said about relaxing. It is about getting to know someone, and if we aren't ourselves we are doing them and us a disservice. Miss Cupcake is right, it is a job interview, it's abot a fit. So at the risk of sounding trite, relax and enjoy it :)

 
At 30 August, 2006 16:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My comment is the same as my text to you yesterday morning..."he is coming!!!" ; )
When do you land in Sydney to pick him up?? I have picked out a nice one for ya! No dating required! PS. For me? Dating sucks! The only date I have REALLY and truthfully thought was something special was the one that my boyf and I went on that March night at the Green Park Hotel!

 
At 05 September, 2006 04:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well if 'Yente' Richard gets his way you won't be dating... evidently we're betrothed already!!!
Of course the fact I'm in Sydney could be a slight issue... Who knows, maybe arranged marriage could work, after all 1 billion Indians can't be all wrong.
Michael c ;-)

 
At 11 September, 2006 09:22, Blogger Loaf said...

I think Pat Benatar was right "Love is a Battlefield".

I though it would be easier after being married once, but truth is it never gets easier!!

Not ready for my parents to arrange someone for me though; especially if their taste in women is anything like their taste in decorating!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home