Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Establishing Traditions

I often find myself wondering how modern day “traditions” come into existence. We have plenty of examples of traditions that just ‘are’: fireworks on the 4th of July (in the US; other countries have their own national day celebrations with fireworks); Christmas trees; turkey on Thanksgiving (again another US [and maybe Canadian] custom), but what really gets me are those smaller more intimate traditions that sneak up on you. Case in point:

I just spent my fifth July 4th weekend with my cousins (the TV producer and the word genius) at their lake house in Virginia. Like every other year we were joined by my other cousins (the professional organizer, the HR guru, the hip dad and their kids [as of yet too young to have identifying names on my blog.]) What get’s me is that this has become my tradition. Granted, it has been going on much longer than 5 years, but I am lucky enough to be included in this amazing activity…

What makes it so great is not only the company and the amazing atmosphere, but the comfort of knowing that every year this is what I am going to be doing. The invitation is open, the activities are always the same and the pressure is off. Sure, a lot of planning and preparation goes into having a total of 6 adults and 2 kids in a house, but once were there it all just… flows.

We spend countless hours lounging in or by the lake, eat (too much), drink (just enough), listen to great music, and most importantly enjoy each others’ company. It is the only time, in recent years, that we have all been together and it is for the right reasons; enjoyment, not trauma. Regardless of the baggage that is brought to the lake (unfinished work, personal stresses, emotional upsets, etc.) for the time we are there, none of it matters and by the end the support of the “family” has made those ‘little’ issues seem appropriately smaller.

I may not always be able to recognize when traditions become traditions, but I hope that all of them are as enjoyable and beneficial as my annual weekend with my awesome cousins at the lake!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home