Friday, February 23, 2007

Simple words that just…. Work

While waiting for my flight from Toronto (after one of the longest weeks I have ever worked), I sat at the gate behind a mother and son traveling to DC. At first I ignored their childish interactions and tried to just gather my thoughts. I stared out the window to the runway and watched planes pass, allowing my thoughts to wander from one topic to the next; digging through layers of unfinished tasks cluttering my brain and all to soon found myself lost and a bit overwhelmed.

Almost as though for my benefit, the child ran around the row of seats and paused right in front of me, laughing a bit too loud, and dragging me from my reverie. The mother was not far behind and the following exchange occurred:

Mother, “I’m gonna get that hug whether you want to give it to me or not.”

Son, giggling again and running as if trying to escape, “uh uh, I’m too fast for you.”

“Oh yeah?”

They ran around repeating similar exchanges (and entertaining me) until the mother caught up to him (or he let her catch him), again right in front of me. She picked him up and folded him in her arms and said, “The best thing about giving hugs is that you get one in return at the same time."

For some reason it just hit me… It was brilliantly simple and right in line with what I was feeling… I needed to give a hug, because I wanted one. Simple, honest and it saved me from loosing myself to my unfinished tasks and doubts.

1 Comments:

At 24 February, 2007 13:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs & love are sent via the moon, aren't they?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home